Monday, December 29, 2014

Create Floor Plans

Jill Seidner Interior Design - Living Room Floor Plan


Planning is always the best advice when deciding on what furniture to purchase along with what sizes, what fits, the scale of items, etc. I always start with furniture floor plan layouts for my clients. Once I've drawn the walls of the room, it's easy to play around with the layout to incorporate furniture, lighting, area rugs and any other furnishings. Once it is done - it becomes a shopping guide for my clients to go out and purchase on their own.


Instructions


1. Measure the length & width of the room. I always start with these measurements first to make sure I have the overall square footage of the room correct. Then measure the areas between doors, windows, hallways, built ins, fireplace. Make sure to get the distance between things.


2. Draw up the overall size of the room (grid paper or a computer program is very helpful). Be sure to note locations of doors and windows.


3. Add in the furnishings at the exacting size. Refer to catalogs and online sources for product descrptions of sofas, chairs, tables, etc. I always do sofa's about 32"-36" wide and the length can be a 7ft, 8 ft,9ft sofa - just depends on the configuration. Allow 3 feet clearances for circulation. You can also make cut outs to play around with layouts.